Saturday, November 2, 2013

"I'm Sorry"

It's the first thing anyone says when I tell them my dad passed away. And I totally understand. It's the first thing I say when people tell me something devastating about their lives. But even if you really mean it, if you're truly sorry for their loss, just remember that it doesn't actually make anything better.

When I tell people about my dad, they suddenly treat me differently (even if it's only for a few moments). That was probably the thing I was most nervous about coming to college. I didn't want to be talking to someone new, have my dad be brought up somehow, and have that conversation screech to a halt as they began to pity me.

I appreciate your sympathy, and I'm not asking you to not say "I'm sorry", but know that it's okay if you ask questions. I don't mind talking about my dad. In fact, it helps. So don't be afraid to ask.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Keely. My daughters have expressed similar feelings since their father passed.

    ReplyDelete