Friday, October 25, 2013

Hair Loss

Today in one of my classes, I noticed a friend looked different and asked him if he got a haircut. He replied, "No, I have cancer." I understand that in our society, making comments like this is no big deal and that it would be very hard for me to change the way people speak. However, his words brought back memories of my dad's increasingly thinning hair. I believe that one way to decrease the use of such phrases is to educate yourself on the effects of cancer.

Many people sincerely believe that cancer itself causes hair to fall out. Chemotherapy is the actual cause of hair loss, and it does not occur for everyone. The chemotherapy drugs attack cancer cells, but they also attack other rapidly growing cells, including those in hair roots.

To combat the negative effects hair loss has on self-esteem, many different companies and organizations offer hats and wigs to cancer patients who have experienced it. I remember my dad coming home from treatment with new hats to cover his bald patches and to keep him warm.

Locks of Love is a popular organization that collects human hair donations to make wigs for cancer patients. I have donated 11 inches of my hair to this cause twice.

This website provides more information on chemotherapy, hair loss, and solutions for cancer patients.

Before you joke about losing your hair due to cancer, know how hair loss occurs and think of the effects you may have on those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment